Again this year, the Key Executive Mega-Conference is encouraging and honoring achievement in innovation with the Mega-Conference Innovation Award.
Entry to the award is free, and open to newspapers of all sizes. In fact, past winners include the Forsyth County News, a three-day-a-week, 12,000-circulation paper in a town north of Atlanta.
Your organization might be eligible to win if it can answer any of these questions:
• Introduced a new product, service or go-to-market approach that is substantially changing your current or future business model?
• Grown your digital revenue to be a critical portion of your revenue mix?
• Tapped into new audiences with a new approach to publishing?
• Diversified your revenue to be less dependent on traditional newspaper advertising?
• Created a culture of innovation for your employees
This award will be presented at the 2019 Key Executives Mega-Conference to a newspaper or multi-property media company – not to an individual person. Four finalists will be showcased during the Mega-Conference. The award winner will be announced following all four presentations.
Entry information is here: http://mega-conference.com/stories/mega,4148602
The deadline for entry is January 15, 2019 at 11:00 p.m. CST
Here’s what you’ll be asked in the entry form. Respond to those questions that relate to your organization’s innovation initiative:
• New Revenue Channels: What new product(s) or approaches have you introduced in the past three years that is/are making a significant difference to your business model today or is expected to significantly alter your business model in the near future?
• Digital Revenue: My digital revenue was ___ percent of my total revenue over the past 12 months. Digital revenue at my company grew ___ percent over the previous year.
• Non-Core Revenue: Have you diversified your revenue in other ways beyond print and digital, such as events or agency services (PR work, logo development, competitive media placement, etc.?) If yes, what percentage of your total advertising revenue comes from these streams? What do you expect it to be in three years? Please provide any additional details or comments that you would like judges to consider.
• Audience Development: Please describe any innovative audience approaches your company has taken that has allowed your company to reach more readers, new audience segments (eg: millennials, sports fanatics, etc.) or improve subscriber engagement. How has this impacted subscriptions, open rates, social shares or total audience?
• Sales & Marketing Approach: Check which of the following most applies to you: (1) We have trained all sales executives how to sell digital products. (2) We have a separate staff to sell digital and/or new initiatives. (3) We have specialized people who sell the complicated stuff and help the rest of the staff sell our new and/or digital product mix. Then, please describe any innovative sales and marketing approaches you have taken that have helped your company improve the trajectory of your revenue.
• Organizational & Company Culture Transformation: Please describe how your company has changed its organizational structure, work environment and/or rewards to encourage innovation.